Kapolei Endodontics

Kapolei Endodontics

Posted by

Apicoectomy in Kapolei

Kapolei Endodontics
Kapolei Endodontics

A failed root canal does not mean that you will automatically lose your tooth. At Aloha Endodontics, we can often remedy complications that arise from root canal, and one such way is with a procedure called a root end resection, or an apicoectomy.

Most root canals succeed, at a rate of about 90%. That’s good news, but if you’re in the other 10% then it’s not of much comfort, is it? Some failed root canals will be best served with endodontic retreatment, which is essentially a do-over of the original root canal. But when a new infection appears in the root tip and surrounding area, you will need a root end resection from our Kapolei endodontics. The goals of this surgery are to remove the underlying infected tissue, relieve your pain, and save the tooth so that it will not need to be extracted. You will be sufficiently numbed with local anesthesia prior to the start of the root end resection by our Kapolei endodontics. Your gums are then cut open to reveal the root. Bone tissue has to be removed to gain the necessary access. The infected tissue and the root tip are then taken out. A special filling is added back to protect against future infections. Your gums will then be stitched shut. You may have some discomfort and swelling when the anesthetic wears off. If so, you can use over-the-counter pain relief medication and an ice pack on the outside of your mouth to address those concerns. The bone will heal over the course of a few months.

Losing a tooth should always be a last resort. Not only is it unsightly, but it can lead to other teeth shifting, discomfort, and chewing difficulties. Teeth replacements are available, but that’s additional time, effort, and cost that you have to deal with. If you are having problems after a root canal, call our Kapolei endodontics to schedule an appointment.

Aloha Endodontics
1020 Kakala Street, Suite 802
Kapolei, HI 96707
(808) 201-ENDO (3636)